Posts for tag: Teeth Cleanings
Do you schedule regular teeth cleaning appointments with your Florham Park, NJ, dentist, Dr. Mark Gleckner? Cleanings offer a simple way to protect your sparkling smile.
How you benefit from teeth cleaning
Making time for teeth cleanings offers these advantages:
- Fewer Cavities: Plaque, a sticky, transparent film full of bacteria, constantly covers your teeth and gums. If you eat sugary foods or foods high in carbohydrates (like bread, chips, or pasta), a chemical reaction occurs that creates acids. These acids are so strong that they begin to damage your tooth enamel, causing cavities. Dental cleanings remove plaque from hard-to-reach places that you may have missed when you brushed and flossed.
- Healthier Gums: Plaque increases your risk of gum disease, as does tartar. Tartar is a hard gray/brown substance that forms when plaque remains on the teeth too long. The deposit can appear in as little as 10 days. Both plaque and tartar irritate and inflame the gums and can cause gum disease. If gum disease isn't treated promptly, it can lead to tooth loss. Fortunately, cleanings get rid of plaque and tartar before they can cause gum disease. If you have gingivitis, the mildest form of gum disease, a cleaning could improve the health of your gums.
- A More Attractive Smile: Stains on teeth are unavoidable yet make your smile look dull. A dental cleaning removes surface stains, improving your appearance. If your smile is still a little dull, teeth whitening treatment can be helpful.
- Better Health: The presence of inflammation and bacteria in your mouth can have an impact on your general health. In fact, if you have gum disease, your risk of stroke or heart attack is two to three times higher than people with healthy gums, according to Harvard Health Publishing. In addition to increasing your stroke and heart attack risk, bacteria and inflammation in the mouth may also play a role in diabetes, dementia, and premature labor. Luckily, regular cleanings at the Florham Park, NJ, dental office can help you protect your health.
Is it time to make a tooth cleaning appointment? Call your dentist in Florham Park, NJ, Dr. Gleckner, at (973) 377-1174 to schedule your visit.
Regular brushing and flossing is important for your oral health and everyone is clear on that but not everyone understands the importance of teeth cleanings. Dr. Mark Gleckner of Florham Park, NJ, offers his patients bi-annual checkups and dental cleanings as a first line of defense against diseases like tooth decay.
The Importance of Teeth Cleanings
So, why get your teeth professionally cleaned if you brush and floss everyday? Simple. A professional teeth cleaning isn't like your everyday oral regimen. While brushing and flossing eliminate food debris and bacteria, professional cleaning is more thorough. It eliminates bacteria under gums, bacteria from small spaces between teeth and sticky film, plaque, on the surface of teeth. A professional cleaning not only prevents oral diseases from manifesting but also stops them in their tracks, or before they progress. This preventative measure protects teeth against cavities, dental holes produced by acid-producing bacteria, that may result in severe problems like infections and ultimately require more invasive treatments like root canals, or dental implants if there's tooth loss.
More About Dental Cleaning Procedure
- The first step is to receive an oral examination. A dental hygienist first examines your mouth using a small mirror. This facilitates in discovering any inflammation around teeth and gum tissue because of plaque and tartar buildup. If they discover anything, your Florham Park dentist will first need to address the issue before proceeding with a professional dental cleaning.
- The next step is removing plaque and tartar using a tool called a scaler. The scaler removes plaque and tartar buildup on teeth surfaces, between teeth and near the gum line and between your teeth. To avoid any sort of discomfort, you can take an Ibuprofen before the procedure.
- During the procedure, a gentle stream of water is run over teeth to eliminate the debris removed. The procedure is simple and is done within an hour or less.
If you would like more information about a professional teeth cleaning, then you should contact Dr. Mark Gleckner of Florham Park, NJ, at (973) 377-1174 to learn more!