Posts for category: Dental
Are you missing a tooth? As the most stable and natural feeling tooth replacements available today, dental implants can improve your smile and enhance your oral health. If you are interested in undergoing this restorative treatment, our Florham Park, NJ, dentist, Dr. Mark Gleckner, can help you decide if implants are a good choice for you
How Do Dental Implants Work?
By being placed directly in the jawbone, implants function as replacement tooth roots, anchoring in the dental crowns that replace the visible part of lost teeth. Without these strong roots, your new crowns would slip while talking or during meal times.
Why Should I Consider Dental Implants?
Implants offer several important benefits for Florham Park area residents, including:
- No More Gaps: Gaps in your smile may affect your self-esteem, but your appearance isn't the only problem if you've lost a tooth. It can also be difficult to chew after tooth loss, particularly if the teeth affected are the molars or pre-molars in the back of your mouth. Your crowns are made from an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new teeth look completely natural.
- Excellent Biting Power: Dental implants are directly rooted in your mouth, allowing you to maintain your ability to eat your favorite foods.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel a lot like natural teeth. In fact, you may soon forget that you even have an implant.
- No Drifting Teeth: After you've lost a tooth, your other teeth may end up changing their positions if the vacancy isn't promptly treated. This is because teeth naturally try to fill the gaps in your smile by drifting toward the openings. Unfortunately, this can change your bite, increase your risk of developing temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ), affect your appearance, and make eating difficult. By filling the gaps in your smile, dental implants can prevent drifting.
- Stronger Jaw: Tooth roots play an essential role in jawbone strength. Your roots stimulate the bone, keeping it strong and healthy. If you don't replace lost roots with implants, your jawbone may eventually begin to shrink and weaken. Tooth loss and sagging facial muscles can occur as a result.
Dental implants offer an excellent restoration solution whether you've lost one tooth or all of them. Call your Florham Park, NJ, dentist, Dr. Mark Gleckner, at (973) 377-1174 to schedule an appointment.